Your day is in full swing. You’ve downed several cups of coffee in hopes to set fire to your brain. You’ve moved papers from one side of your desk to the other and onto the floor in neat stacks (for the fourth time). If you work from a home office, you’re in your PJ’s with your hair sporting the latest “bed-head” style. Is this how you ignite performance in your small business?
As much as you love to believe that being a “go with the flow” person is the key to small business performance, you discover that your “flow” has changed course. It’s no longer moving in the direction of the goals you’ve set for your business.
Let’s face it — a little structure in a small business, in addition to being a character-developing experience, ensures your small business performs as you intend. Here are a few simple strategies to jump-start your small business performance and keep you headed in the right direction.
- Start each day on the right track. Jot down your goal – not your to do’s. If your goal doesn’t quickly and easily come to mind, try a little Solution on the Fly.
- Note THE most important activity that contributes directly to your goals. Not 3 or 5 – just one. Let’s not complicate things.
- Resist the lure of projects or activities not on your priority list. It delays goal achievement.
- Don’t let the priorities of others become yours. Not an easy task but with practice comes perfection.
- Dump behaviors and plans not producing results, even if conventional wisdom says otherwise. Continuing unproductive activities is the definition of insanity – and it’s pointless.
Take charge of your small business performance. Don’t get sidetracked. Small business performance = goal achievement. You have more control over your performance – and that of your small business – than you think.
Other Ways to Improve Performance: