Sales call reluctance can be a death nail for any business no matter the state of the economy. However, during turbulent economic times, sales call reluctance is the worst dilemma for any growing business.
If the sales professional your organization hired is the one with sales call reluctance, you may consider the words of Donald Trump – “you’re fired” – as a solution. However, when you (the business owner) are plagued by sales call reluctance, consider these solutions to overcoming phone aversion.
1. Do your research. With social media, it’s easier than ever to prepare for a sales call. Armed with key information about your prospect, you’ll speak intelligently about your prospects needs. And, you’ll look like a rock star for having done your homework!
2. Write out your script. Of course, we don’t recommend reading it in a monotone, dowdy, poorly-rehearsed manner but writing your script before dialing your prospect keeps you poised and prepared.
3. Visualize your performance. Although its tempting to rush into every sales call, take a few minutes to rehearse the conversation improves the likelihood of the sales call going the way you want.
4. Shift from sales professional to service provider/problem solver. Prospects want to buy but they don’t want to be sold. Unearth their problem, show them how to solve it, and the sale is yours.
5. Focus on your strengths. Studies show you get more satisfaction when you use your strengths as much as possible. Your knowledge and confidence will come through with each sales call. (Unsure of your signature strengths? Take the Values in Action Signature Strength test.)
These are just a few of the ways in which we overcome our sales call reluctance. What techniques have you found most helpful?